Thursday, November 8, 2012

MORE DIXIE-O-SYNCRACIES

We're all battling colds here and there are three different opinions about how to handle them (upstairs at least). There may be more opinions downstairs too but I haven't asked. 

Wade came down with it first and we're all gonna blame him for this mess that we're all in. But first off, he started taking nyquil and dayquil. He wanted me to buy cough drops for his throat - but instead I bought plain old "sucky" candy which is cheaper and produces the same desired effect. Next he had nasal spray that he's been over-spraying (my opinion) but he says it is really helping a lot with congestion. His mother did suggest that he DRINK hydrogen peroxide...... he looked at her and said, "Mom, are you trying to kill me???". 

Now Dixie and I both have it too. On Tuesday my throat was on fire and I knew it was coming. I had some candies in my pocket and sucked on those that day to help me along. I worked at the polls from 5:30 am to 8:15 pm. Long, long day of talking with people but I am happy to say that I got through it. I have not taken any cold-type medicines, although I have been taking aspirin periodically when I get a headache. 

Dixie wanted to buy some medicine at Walmart yesterday. We have the Wednesday ritual down pretty good now. First I take her to get her hair washed & styled. (Cindy is doing a wonderful job). Then we find somewhere for lunch. Yesterday it was soup and salad at Bob Evans Restaurant. Then shopping at Walmart. And her "cold" medicine turned out to be several bottles of vitamins............. But she also wants to gargle VANILLA EXTRACT?? - because ...... there is alcohol in there and THAT will kill the germs..........  Okay..... But this is the woman that is tight, tight, TIGHT with her money. Wouldn't gargling with Listerine (or the generic version) be just as effective as vanilla extract and a whole lot cheaper??? Just sayin'................ I didn't say that out loud though. Just my usual head nod........

So what other Dixie-O-Syncracies have I come across......?? 
Oh - she told me that doctors in the US discovered that if pregnant women took more thyroid it would prevent midgets (her word - not mine!!). So there are no "M-word" people in the US any more because all doctors have increased the thyroid medications. Then she went on to explain that means whenever they are needed for movies - producers or movie-people go to other countries to hire them. And she can't figure out how they hide their accents so well - because...... they're....... from....... other........ countries.   <<Head nod..........>> I don't think she's seen shows like "Little People, Big World". 

Work is going really quickly on the apartment. They've gotten most of the electrical wiring in. Starting to put up the insulation and the drywall is waiting to be put on next. It's starting to look less like a garage now. Dixie snuck down there the other day and asked the men working when the wiring would be done because she wanted to plug in the refrigerator. They told her it would be that particular day. She wants to be able to put food in there. That night, Wade told her to just hold off - wait until they're all done with construction. She doesn't need to be going back and forth during the day interrupting their work while she gets her lunch or other meal. Plus since then, they've cut electrical power many times and if she had gotten her way, she would be worrying about the food in the fridge that now had no power. For issues like this, I let Wade handle it because she will listen to him and take his advice faster than she will from me. If I give an answer that she doesn't particularly like, she will say, "Well, I'll talk to Wade about it". <<Head nod>>

 This is standing in the middle of the living/sleeping area looking toward the "front door". The wall on the far left is what used to be the garage door. 
 This is the bathroom all framed in. It will be very big. Big shower, lots of shelves, etc. 
Here is the kitchen area. The water is working in there now. And the fridge (eventually) will go along that wall behind where Wade is standing. 

Still every night we all go out and see the progress that has been made for that day. It's getting closer and closer and I know that she is very anxious to get settled in there. I think or suspect that she is rummaging through her possessions out there to find things that she wants. I know her hands are itching to start putting things into cabinets, but that would just not work out until construction is over and the dust has settled. It will be soon enough. Possibly after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment