We need to have DEFINING moments in our lives to sustain us through good times and bad times. Many things can rob us of recognizing those defining moments - busyness, stress, worry.....
According to the literature, as our lives grow faster and faster, our moments seem to grow shorter and shorter. And as our lives become packed with activities and events, we seem to have no time to experience moments in meaningful ways.
The word 'MOMENT' comes from the latin word MOVIMENTUM which means 'to turn the scales'. In other words, a moment makes a difference (or SHOULD). It should move us............
But we can race through our days and never realize how many opportunities for "MOMENTS" that we have missed.
I had a wonderful MOMENT this Monday morning. I do the same thing almost every Monday morning - but this week, it really refreshed me. It all begins on Sunday evening following dinner. The meal this Sunday was for 7 people. We ate on my mother's china plates and feasted on macaroni and cheese with veggies, and fish fillet or chicken patty sandwiches. Lots of good food and lots of dirty dishes. But my ONE rule on Sunday is that I DO NOT wash dishes that night. Everything gets stacked and placed on the counter next to the sink. And trust me, there are one or two "Monica's" that were going crazy........
On Monday, I like to get up and, in solitude and quietness, I fill the dish pan with nice hot, soapy water and work through the dishes. I have my own organizational system to guide me. First silverware - dry them and put them away. Glasses, then plates, then onto serving bowls and finally, last of all, is the pots and pans. Everything gets dried and put away. I love how drastic the change is from something piled high with dirty dishes to an empty, clean counter. I like to stand at the sink and look out the window into the backyard and just enjoy the scenery while I am washing. And I discovered this past Monday that my thoughts went back to Sunday's church service and I was humming some of the songs that we had sung. This was such a calming, refreshing time for me. I had created a moment and when I think about it - I feel good for the enjoyment that I felt. How strange it seems to enjoy doing dishes so much.....
Most times these days I've surrounded by chaos, noise, barking dogs, saws and hammers, questions, decisions, and people. I need to look for those defining moments more often so that I can live "in the moment". Not wish away the time until it turns into an "I should have......." moment.
Construction is moving along and the plumbing is almost completed. Marty and Tom will be putting up walls soon. Dixie is anxious to get into her place and keeps suggesting we can start putting away her things in there. The day the cabinets are installed on the walls I may have to tie her down - she wants to get in there and get things organized.
This is the washer/dryer hookup that will be in the bathroom area. Can't tell now, but there will be lots of shelve space plus a counter to fold clothes too.
Hard to tell from this picture, but it's gonna be a BIG bathroom area.
The sub-floor is all installed. Next the walls will start going up. That door is the main entrace and will be enclosed in its own little hallway/entryway. Both 'residences' will have matching doors for entry. Where the shower is temporarily placed there will be the Mud Room. At the end of the sub floor will be floor to ceiling wall to create the living room/bedroom area.




No comments:
Post a Comment